Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Beldon's Blues Points July 6, 2011
Readers are continuing to send us in stuff and we love it. Keep ‘em coming. We prefer you send them to firstname.lastname@example.org but get ‘em to us somehow:
Juan Meier has a lot going on. Check out some of his work on youtube:
Meier, who plays tango with jazz guitars, also put out this video:
Check out his page at
Guitarist Adam Rey has been touring the western U.S. for 35 years and has been playing with bands in the Colorado Rocky Mountain region since 1991. He recently released “Meat & Potatoes,” his first solo CD of all original compositions. “It is an eclectic combination of guitar-driven instrumental Rock/Jazz/Fusion/Blues stylings with a little “Country” thrown in the mix,” he said. “It features some of Colorado’s best local musicians lending their talent to the project.” You can hear his work on his website www.heyreyguitar.com. Cuts he recommends in particular are “Psycho-Delia” and “Swamp Thing.”
“I am looking for booking opportunities for my band, and to go out and promote my new CD, take my music to the masses and play my guitar!” he said. You can hear what he’s been doing at www.heyreyguitar.com
If you like what you hear, let him know at email@example.com
Okay, now it’s time for some music news. Bluzapalooza, the series of tours that sends blues musicians to entertain troops overseas, returns September 2 with a trip to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. "It is an honor to be able to bring the Blues to our men and woman in uniform.......men and woman who have made so many sacrifices to keep us safe at home. We will be giving them a show that they will never forget and that will remind them how much they are loved and prayed for by all of us," said BLUZAPALOOZA co-founder and co-producer Steve Simon.
Sponsored by Armed Forces Entertainment, Telarc Records, Alligator Records, NorthernBlues Records, Yellow Dog Records, Ruf Records, XM Sirius Radio's Bluesville, Blues Revue and Steve & Jeff Simon Presents, thes tour will feature “The Prince of Beale Street” Billy Gibson, who has participated in previous BLUZAPALOOZA tours. In the past, musicians have entertained military and other American personnel in Iraq, Kuwait, Afghanistan, and Egypt.
Here's the latest from guest writer Bob Corritore:
Bob Corritore Blues Newsletter - Dave Riley and Bob Corritore tour Brazil, Living Blues Music Award and Blues Blast Music Award nominations, Lucerne Blues Festival, Clarksdale documentary, Simi Valley
July 5, 2011
• Dave Riley & Bob Corritore off to Brazil! The downhome blues team of Dave Riley & Bob Corritore will bring their "Mississippi meets Chicago blues" sound to the country of Brazil this and next week. They will be backed for these dates by the band of promoters Adrian Flores and Luciano "Big Mouth" Boca. This will be a return engagement as they first played Brazil in November of 2010. Here is a list of dates for this trip:
7/07/11: Sao Paulo, Brazil - Sesc Riberao Preto
7/09/11: Pocos de Caldas, Brazil - The 4th Annual Pocos de Caldas Jazz & Blues Festival
7/15/11: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - Patio Havanna
7/16/11: Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil - Bossa & Jazz
7/17/11: Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil - Bossa & Jazz
• Bob Corritore receives Living Blues Award nomination in the harmonica category! Bob Corritore is honored to be included among the nominees of the 2011 Living Blues Awards. Bob is in the "Most Outstanding Musician (Harmonica)" category. The other nominees in this category are Billy Boy Arnold, Sugar Blue, James Cotton, and Charlie Musselwhite. Voting is going on as we speak and is open to everyone! All ballots must be in by July 15th! To see the complete list of nominees and to vote please click on the magazine website at www.livingblues.com
• Bob Corritore & Friends / Harmonica Blues nominated for Blues Blast Music Award! More good news as the album Bob Corritore & Friends / Harmonica Blues has been nominated for a Blues Blast Music Award in the category of "Traditional Blues CD." Other CDs nominated in this same category are Charlie Musselwhite / The Well, Studebaker John's Maxwell Street Kings / That's The Way You Do, Rich DelGrosso & John Del Toro Richardson / Time Slips By, Pinetop Perkins & Willie "Big Eyes" Smith / Joined At The Hip, Magic Slim / Raising The Bar. The voting for the 2011 Blues Blast Music Awards has begun and will continue until August 31st. Voting is open to anyone who is a Blues Blast Magazine subscriber. Subscriptions are free, and you can sign up as part of the voting process. To see a complete list of all nominees, and to vote please click http://www.thebluesblast.com/, and then click the voting link. The awards ceremony, put on by Blues Blast Magazine, will take place on Thursday, October 27th, at Buddy Guy's Legends, 700 S. Wabash Ave., Chicago, IL 60605.
• Dave Riley featured cover story on Blues Blast Magazine! Speaking of Blues Blast Magazine, their June 23rd issue featured an in depth interview with Dave Riley! Kudos to interviewer Terry Mullins, who really understood his subject and coaxed a very relective profile of the man and his music. To see this interview, click http://www.illinoisblues.com/Archive/BluesBlasts/2011/BluesBlast6_23_11.htm.
• Simi Valley Cajun and Blues Music Festival photo page posted! Special thanks to Steve and Libby Stoddard for posting a wonderful set of blues photos from The Simi Valley Cajun & Blues Music Festival. Steve Stoddard hosts the fantastic blues radio program "Somethin' Blue" on KTUH 90.3 FM Honolulu, and made the special trip to California to attend this great festival. The festival blues stage is masterfully booked by Delta Groove label chief Randy Chortkoff who understands the fine points of a two day blues presentation.
• New Louisiana Red album cover revealed! Ruf Records will soon release Louisiana Red & Little Victor's Juke Joint / Memphis Mojo. Little Victor has provided us with a sneak peak of the new beautiful CD cover and Victor writes: "Here's the boss cover (by Johnny Montezuma) of Memphis Mojo, the new album I recorded with Louisiana Red in Memphis with Bob Corritore, David Maxwell, Mookie Brill, Billy T, Pee Wee and the Hawk... You just don't change a WINNING team... Ha Ha Ha!" To see this cover click http://www.bobcorritore.com/photos165.html.
• Except from Clarksdale, Mississippi documentary! Thanks to Scott Jennison for providing this preview of his cool documentary of Claksdale, Missisppi featuring Sam Carr, Big Jack Johnson, Super Chikan, Luther Dickinson, Morgan Freeman and more. The project is called Touch The Blues. To see the clip and to read more about the Touch The Blues Project click http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/265489605/touch-the-blues.
• Tail Dragger, Henry Gray, Kirk Fletcher & The Rhythm Room All-Stars to appear together Friday and Saturday July 29th and 30th at the Rhythm Room and in November at the Lucerne Blues Festival! There will be two opportunities to see this rare meeting of blues talent that consists of Tail Dragger, Henry Gray, Kirk Fletcher, Bob Corritore, Chris James, Patrick Rynn, and Brian Fahey. The first show will be at the Rhythm Room in Phoenix, Arizona on Friday and Saturday, July 29th and 30th and then again in early November at the Lucerne Blues Festival. Rarely will you find such a hard-hitting group of blues artists assembled in one show. To see the Rhythm Room flyer click here. To read more about the amazing Lucerne Blues Festival in beautiful Lucerne Switzerland, with this year's fantastic lineup click http://www.bluesfestival.ch/.
• A note from Bob. Please forgive the long time between newsletters. The last newsletter was published on June 7th. In the month between, I have been to the Chicago Blues Festival, and came home to tie up details for the new Diunna Greenleaf CD, Trying To Hold On, (due out any day now!), I just finished mixing the new Mud Morganfield CD which will be called Catfish Fishing, I wrote some brief liner notes for Louisiana Red & Little Victor's Juke Joint / Memphis Mojo CD, I did some post production work on the forthcoming 3rd release by Dave Riley & Bob Corritore, I pre-recorded 10 hours of radio shows in preparation for the forthcoming 2 week Brazil tour, and I had a 3 day visit from my friend, the lovely and talented Valerie June, where we opened for Jimmie Vaughan at the Rhythm Room on June 29th, and the next day went to Tempest Recording to record a few songs together, and I have been making plans for the Rhythm Room's 20 year anniversary party, which will include an amazing 3 day celebration on September 16, 17 and 18 (a formal announcement of the event's simply great blues and soul lineup will be forthcoming shortly). I have been a very busy man!
• Buddy Guy from 1970 on YouTube! Please enjoy this exciting vintage clip of a youthful Buddy Guy performing "The First Time I Met The Blues" from the movie Chicago Blues. To see this performance click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_rd8y8A2oE
And the BluesAholics from Southern California that have been in touch with us lately send this:
Heyllo boys and girlies... fellow BluesAholics... we are so so excited bout this show for Lorey's Blues and the City of Hope... gotta tell ya some more..
Take out your big red pen and mark your calendar.... if ya gotta use your big crayon or #2 big pencil, then go right ahead... but it's a must gotta be there kinda fun groovin stompin laughin dancin sorta thang. Lots of our SoCal fabulous local talent we're so thrilled about will be knockin it out for us! And.. we're bestowing on our lovely Lorey .. lots of good vibes & thoughts goin her way.. (yous know her.. President of the Los Angeles Blues Society and home of the Maxson Road House Gigs). If you have any questions, please contact our girl.. Kelly @ Kelly's Lot firstname.lastname@example.org
What: Lorey's Blues and the City of Hope
Where: Joe's American Bar & Grill 4322 W Magnolia Bl Burbank CA 91505 818.729.0805 joesgreatbar.com
When: August 28, 2011 Sunday 2-9pm
Band's Playin: Delgado Brothers delgadobrothers.com; Teresa James teresajames.com, Kelly's Lot kellylot.com, Wumbloozo wumbloozo.com , R & B Bombers reverbnation.com/rbbombers, Scorch Sisters thescorchsisters.blogspot.com; Blues Straight Up as MC.
Hope to see ya there.. let's make some noise & crowd that dance floor!
Meanwhile, back here in D.C., our own Nadine Rae and her Allstars will do a free show at the Barebones Grill & Brewery in Ellicott City, MD, from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. on Saturday, June 9, 2011. I am writing this on Wednesday, July 6, so that would be this upcoming Saturday. Aw hell, I'll just let you see Nadine's ad:
THIS SATURDAY !
& THE ALLSTARS
SATURDAY, JULY 9, 2011
9 p.m. til 1 a.m.
BAREBONES GRILL & BREWERY
9051 Old Baltimore National Pike
(in Mar's Shopping Center--cross street is St. John's Lane)
Ellicott City, MD
Reservations Highly Encouraged!!!!
Directions are cited below!
GREAT FOOD!!! GREAT ATMOSPHERE!!!! GREAT STAFF!!!!
WONDERFUL DRINKS!!! FREE PARKING!!!
COME ON OUT FOR A NIGHT OF FUN-FILLED PARTYING
ON SOME GOOD OL' BLUES!
SEE YOU THERE!
SPREAD THE WORD!