Monday, October 17, 2011
Crankin' in the Capital-the D.C. Annual Battle of the Bands
It was the D.C. Blues Society's Battle of the Bands last Saturday and we all had a great time at the American Legion Hall in Wheaton, Maryland as several bands competed to see who will represent the Washington area at the International Blues Competition in Memphis next January. Not in any specific order, the bands were:
1. The Unruly Blues Band, based in Frederick, Maryland.
2.The Lady Rose Band, the only one to compete last year as well. By the way, that's Lady Rose at the top of this page:
3 Popular D.C. area guitarist/bassist/singer Clarence "The Bluesman" Turner, whose group covered "C.C. Ryder:"
4. Fast Eddie and the Slowpokes. The Greenbelt, Maryland-based group did its version of "Hideaway:"
5. The Steve Remy Band. The group covered "Down in the Hole," a song that became the theme song to the HBO television series "The Wire."
6. The Justin Pietrowski Trio from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia:
7. Terry Oates and The Mudcats, a group based in Winchester, VA:
As you can hear, we have some talented bands here in the Nation's Capital. But we know there are talented groups all over the country and we want to put videos of some of them on Beldon's Blues Point. So if you happen to be at a Battle of the Bands in your area and shoot some footage, send it to us at email@example.com, or however you can get it to us. Also tell us a little about the bands, whatever you know. We're not starting our own contest, we're just trying to show the world as much good blues as we can.